Today we discussed food chains. All food chains can be traced all the way back to the sun. Tonight, trace your meal all the way back to the sun and use your science vocabulary!
Week twenty-five Vocabulary
March 1-5, 2010
Your spelling and vocabulary test will be on Friday, March 5, 2010 . You will be responsible for knowing how to spell each word correctly and the definition for each word.
1. Food chain- the path of food energy from one organism to another in an ecosystem.
2. Food Web- overlapping food chains with different pathways for the flow of food energy in an ecosystem.
3. Producer- an organism that makes its own food.
4. Consumer- an organism that gets energy by eating other organisms.
5. Decomposer- an organism that gets energy by feeding on dead materials and wastes.
6. Predator- an animal that hunts, catches, and eats another animal.
7. Prey- an animal that is hunted, caught, and eaten by another animal.
8. Herbivore- an animal that eats only plants or plant products.
9. Carnivore- an animal that eats another animal.
10. Omnivore- an animal that eats both plants and animals
What a fantastic day!